Law Offices of Larry H. Lefkowitz

Call Now For A Case Evaluation

(215) 750-9202

Law Offices of Larry H. Lefkowitz

A Look At Petitions For Adoption In Pennsylvania

  • By: Larry Lefkowitz
  • Published: December 11, 2014


There are two ways in which parental rights of the biological parent may be terminated for an adoption. If the parent voluntarily gives up parental rights, he or she signs a consent form. Otherwise, a Petition for Involuntary Termination will be filed in the Court of Common Pleas in the county of residence for the child. According to Pennsylvania law, a parent may have his or her parental rights involuntarily terminated if he or she has refused parental duties for at least six months. They may also be terminated if his or her conduct demonstrates giving up parental claim.

Along with the Petition for Involuntary Termination, a Petition for Adoption must be filed by the parent who wishes to adopt the minor in question. A family lawyer can help you file these petitions. You’ll need to provide certain documents, such as your marriage certificate, copies of prior divorce decrees, and the adoptee’s birth certificate. You’ll also undergo a criminal background check and a child abuse history clearance. If the adoptee is 12 years or older, he or she will need to give written consent.

When you hire Larry Lefkowitz Esq. as your family lawyer, you’ll have access to high quality legal services with no hidden fees. Residents of the Philadelphia area and beyond can enlist the assistance of a family lawyer by calling (215) 750-9202 .

(168total visits,1visits today )

Larry Lefkowitz

About the Author Larry Lefkowitz is a Family Law and General Practice attorney who specializes
in assisting his clients with experienced legal advice and services for a flat fee.
Flat Rate Fees+Better Relationships=No Surprises.